Monday, May 14, 2012

Seasonal Planters bring color to your front door

 May is the time of year where we begin to transition into the summer season.  One of the best ways to add color and visual interest is with seasonal planters filled with beautiful flowers and plants.  I recently had to add interest to a new home.  The front door was white and there was no door mat or pots in front ot the door.  I believe that even a beautiful house looks dull without color at the front door.  The first thing we did was paint the front door a beautiful brick red.  We then added a black iron front mat to match the color of the shutters.  The house was now balanced with color, but it was till lacking visual interest.  That was when I went looking for interesting planters

  First you will need to pick a container.  There are so many to choose from.  You can do clay pots or urns or zinc planters.  You can use colorful painted pottery or very contemporary tall modern brushed nichol containters.  My rule of thumb is have the style of planter match the architecture of the house.  Don't put neon green containers in front of a center hall colonial.

 Once the pots are picked you will need to fill them.  As of late, I have become very creative with what I fill my pots with. You don't always have to use flowers.  I have done pots with ornamental peppers, with grasses.  I have even used lettuces in a decorative way.  Try to think outside the box.  The best thing you can hear from someone is how did you think of that?  Or, do you mind if I copy that ?

 In my clients case, we chose square planter boxes made of wood.  I had them sprayed in a high gloss black finish so they would contract with the front door.  I then put a spike planted in the center of each planter box for height .  In this case, I chose to do an unusual combination of reds, purples, and oranges.  I combined flowers vines and foliage.  I have to say it looked great.  Be creative this spring and do something unexpected with your flower pots.  If you do a really good job being different you may start to see your neighbors copying you.  I guess then they won't be so unual after all.  Oh well at least it was your idea first, Happy Planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment